January 11, 2016

Designing My Way Into 2016!

Being an artist, I'm never going to be fully satisfied with my work. I have an ever-changing, ever-evolving personality that shows the most prominently in my artwork. A design that I might so proudly show one month could seem embarrassing to show the next month. Artists are constantly looking to improve, to stay ahead, and to impress themselves and their audience. At the beginning of the new year in 2015, I made it my goal to create the quality of designs I knew I could produce. I wanted a more realistic croqi, more depth, more vibrant color, and a wider range in design. So I worked a little outside the box, and took my ideas past my comfort zone. I started off with celebrities like Taylor Swift, blogger Kristina Bazan, and VS Angel Candice Swanepoel, to see if I could interpret their features and style in my own way. To achieve my ideal colors and depth, I tried some new tools until I found my perfect match. After testing several brands, I found that Copic markers with the paint tip ruled over Prismacolor. I also discovered my love for Micron pens over Prismacolor, and the uncanny improvement in using Bienfang marker paper over Canson marker paper. I then challenged myself to create several different designs that resembled each other enough to be considered a collection. I created three seperate collections and stylized them around themes like, "Miss Pastel", "Wicked Bunch", and "Holiday Posh". This year, I did something I've never done before, I copied another famous design. I illustrated a look from Zuhair Murad's Resort '16 Collection, which proved to be challenging. Lastly, I created my own costume in a comic book style for Marvel's Black Widow. In the end, I like to think that I successfully worked towards my 2015 goal. I'm not going to say I achieved it, because I'm a perfectionist, remember? ;) Maybe I'll be satisfied by the end of 2016! So if you're an artist, in any aspect of life, never stop improving. Set goals for yourself, and practice to attain them. Work to become the very best at your craft, and relish in the satisfaction of the difference your time and efforts made. You never know to what heights it may take you.

No comments :

Post a Comment