December 10, 2015

Détroit Is The New Black!

Last week I was kindly invited by fellow fashion blogger of DolacheSpace, to a Sip and Shop Event at local store, Détroit is the New Black! The invitation read: Enjoy champagne and recieve 20% off your purchase of featured pop-up designer, Tracy Reece, along with Roslyn's in-house label! I'm not one for drinks, but boy am I one for a sale! So obviously my friend Katlyn (who I recently dubbed as my fashion partner in crime) and I headed downtown and got our shop on ;) On the outside the store is very inconspicuous, but on the inside it has the feel of a spacious loft featuring fine art, and fine clothing. The store was very minimalistic, open, inviting, and shoppable. Fine art pieces were spread throughout, and metal jewelry was shown in cases. Clothing was neatly hung from racks according to color and style. The CEO and owner of DITNB, Roslyn Karamoko, was a very pleasant host, and kindly explained her store, and listened to our fashion endeavors. We had previously seen her speak at the FashionSpeak Conference, and had been dying to see her store ever since. Her designs adorned the Détroit is the New Black logo, or the simple D insignia. The clothing was simple, but held a very powerful message. Her pop-up designer, Tracy Reece, had clothing of a very different type. Her designs were considered more high fashion, and consisted mostly of dresses and gowns with a vintage twist. Katlyn and I both very happily purchased something from Roslyn's collection. While unwrapping my purchase at home, I found a small card containing the company's message on it. It read: "Détroit is the New Black is inspired by the city. We are a forward movement of millennials energized by the history and resilience of Detroit. We combine minimalism and high street to achieve the perfect balance of urban fashion. A mantra for Rebirth. Inspiration. Authenticity. Culture. We believe in the power of manifestation. Join the movement". This small card gave me the chills. It was the perfect desciption of my experience at her store, and her brand. That's a designer that knows herself, and knows what she stands for! So needless to say, we had a wonderful first time shopping with Détroit is the New Black. I plan on visiting them again in the near future, and encourage you to do the same! Visit www.detroitisthenewblack.com, or @detroitisthenewblack on Instagram to purchase or view Roslyn's work! Or visit the store for yourself at 52 East Forest Avenue, Détroit ;D

2 comments :